29/08/2022

Tin Savage @ Screw Gallery.

This week the most important visual artist of the British underground punk and hardcore scene had a solo gallery showing. Tin Savage. So me and a friend went to check it out.

There is something so antagonistic and aggressive about his style. It's made to be repugnant and difficult to stomach. Simultaneously brutal and rustic yet highly detailed. The way he plays with light and contrast for me is a huge part of his works belligerent nature. The cartoon style is really playful as for me, it should soften the aesthetic feel of the work? Yet it does it opposite, imbuing it all with a immediate sense of deception. Needless to say, I'm a huge fan.

Blind Authority, Shrapnel and The Flex have all been immortalised in Tin's iconography.
All favourites of mine! 

Below you can 'click in' on the images to see the intricate dot work;

Tin's little gremlins exist in my mind like Eddie's distant, hills have eyes, little nephews.
You know they are nasty little gits. 

I also enjoyed this colourful series, done exclusively on airplane discomfort bags. Sick.

One of my favourites.

These two were larger paintings on display, done on canvas. I thought the transition from stark black and white into almost a decaying pastel colours was really quite smart. The betty boop painting is definitely playing with pop culture iconography and Tin's own artistic tropes to pleasing effect. 

And concluding, I'm now the proprietor of just a little bit of UKHC history.
Cheers Tin!

Tin Savage's instagram.
Tin Savage's bigcartel

No comments:

Post a Comment